Back to England

For those of you who don’t know, my boyfriend lives in England. I went to visit him the week before Christmas and fell in love with London. He had planned every waking moment of the trip so I wanted this next time to be a bit more relaxed. And it was. But we still were incredibly busy. How do you justify not going out and doing something when you have 10 days in England and so much to see?

So far, you’ve had the chance to read about the highlights of my trip – from Bath and the Harry Potter Studio Tour. But I’ve decided to give you a glimpse into what the whole ten days was actually like, in a diary-like format.

Friday, April 7th, 2017

Flight from Detroit to Atlanta, two hour layover, with a connecting flight from Atlanta to London.

First flight was delayed for an hour and a half so that as soon as I landed in Atlanta, I had to run from the gate to the complete opposite end of the airport. The airport is constructed like T A B C D E F. I landed in A at 6:45pm and had to get to F for my flight that would depart at 7:25pm. I got to the gate just as they closed the door, running and waving my arms screaming “WAIT!” Yes, exactly like you see in the movies. With a stroke of luck, they let me on the plane. I come to find out that it was empty in economy where my seat was and I got the entire row to myself, as did others.

Photo Apr 08, 1 47 17 AM

The flight to London went rather smooth but I knew there was absolutely no way my bags were going to arrive with me so I had a good 8 hours to prepare to be very disappointed in Delta. Which seems like it’s becoming a usual during my international travels.

Saturday, April 8th, 2017

The plane landed at 8am local time and, as predicted, the bags were still in Atlanta. Well done, Delta. So I had to arrange for them to be delivered at D’s flat the next day. They had no way to tell me what time so I was given a number to call later that night to check if they had been put on a flight yet or not.

So I’m in London but have nothing with me. I don’t have soap for a shower, makeup, ANY clothes besides the smelly ones I got there with. Nothing. So we were forced to go shopping. I went to Boots and H&M and spent £150 on basics. Women are not cheap. And with my psoriasis and acne-prone skin, I needed to make sure I was getting good enough products to tie me over.

I finally showered and felt like a real human again around 2pm. With half the day already wasted trying to manage Delta’s screw up, we traveled into London with the hopes of doing some walking and getting some food and drinks. We saw the Tower Bridge again and went to the Dickens Inn for dinner and a bottle of Prosecco, as usual.

Photo Apr 08, 12 20 44 PMPhoto Apr 08, 12 34 46 PM

Sunday, April 9th, 2017

I woke up to Delta’s notifications that my bags had landed in London. After talking to Virgin Airlines on the phone, they said there was no way to know when the bags would arrive, but we should expect them sometime in the afternoon or evening. It’s an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I was on holiday, and we had plans to go to Southampton to visit D’s sister and nephews. I called them back and told them we’d pick them up instead. So we showered and set off back to Heathrow. I got my bags, changed my clothes, threw on some makeup, and we made our way to Southampton for the day.

As driving anywhere in England takes forever, we had lost out on a lot of time so we weren’t able to see any sights while we were there. We went to his sister’s house and made our way to The New Forest for a walk with the kids. It actually felt like we were in the Forbidden Forest, it was very pretty, and we had a beautiful day.

Photo Apr 09, 11 43 01 AM

We went to a local pub, got some food and ice cream, then made our way north east back to D’s flat. I finally got to give him his birthday presents, over a whole month later, and he was a very happy camper.

Monday, April 10th, 2017

We woke up with the intention of spending the day in Londan tan (London town). We went to Harrods, and a local pub where I finally had some fish and chips (and mushy peas – yummm), then went for a walk in Hyde Park and St. James Park. We had one more quick drink at a pub, then went back to the flat to meet up with his flat mate and head to Top Golf.

Photo Apr 10, 9 54 03 AMPhoto Apr 10, 9 55 45 AMPhoto Apr 10, 10 00 59 AMPhoto Apr 10, 10 40 30 AM

Top Golf was so much fun and I’m seriously very bummed we don’t have one in Michigan because I want to go back soon, especially with the weather finally getting nicer.

Tuesday, April 11th, 2017

Tuesday was Bath day! And no, that doesn’t mean we woke up and took a bath. We drove to the town of Bath in the English countryside. I wrote a very detailed post about what we did and included many pictures so be sure to check it out here if you haven’t already. It was gorgeous and my absolute favorite part of the entire trip.

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017

The drive back from Bath took 6 hours which accounted for the majority of our day as we slept in and got breakfast in town before departing. We came back exhausted from the drive and if I remember correctly, we hung out at the flat and went to bed early. I have no photo evidence of doing anything special and this night is a complete blank for me…

Thursday, April 13th, 2017

We decided to have a lazy morning as the first five days had been jam packed already and I do love having time to do nothing. We originally had plans to meet up with a friend of mine later that night to go to Dinerama in Shoreditch, but those plans got cancelled and we were actually extremely happy about that as neither of us couldn’t be bothered to leave the flat. Therefore, D made me his special Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner and we watched movies.

The sauce is spectacular. It takes a couple hours to make and the smells are overwhelming. He could open his own restaurant with this meal, no joke.

Photo Apr 13, 4 46 11 PM

Friday, April 14th, 2017

We were able to have another lazy morning to lay around the flat. It took me all day to muster up the courage for a shower as we had plans later that night to meet up with some friends for a birthday dinner and night out.

We went to Gaucho’s, an Argentinian Steakhouse for dinner. There were 10 of us in a special back room where we spent over £1,000 on dinner and lots of drinks. The food was alright, the service was lacking (but it’s not America, ya know?) but the company was wonderful. We then tried going out to a few places, but as it was Good Friday, and a bank holiday, we were striking out. We finally made it to a place called Barrio’s which we had all been before – last time I was in town – which was hoppin’ and very fun.

The night ended there as everyone got tired and decided to turn in. No pictures as we were having too much fun to be on our phones. Quality time with humans, how bow dah?

Saturday, April 15th, 2017

We didn’t have any special plans for the morning but we did decide to shower up and go back to Top Golf as I still had two free games to play and D wanted to try out the new swing I helped him to attain. Instead, he almost murdered me by managing to hit the golf ball against the metal wall. It came soaring towards me, I tripped over my own feet trying to run away from it and pulled a muscle in my arm. We made a huge scene and provided some comedy for the groups near us. You are welcome Top Golfers!

We had plans later that night to see a friend of mine, who lives in Canary Wharf, to eat and drink at her flat. The night was filled with lots of laughter and lots of alcohol. We had a very early morning the next day so we weren’t able to stay out too late and got the tube back to D’s flat. I was fortunate enough to witness a proper drunken night on the tube, and even got to watch someone get sick in the carriage in front of us. Joy!

Photo Apr 15, 8 21 24 PM

Sunday, April 16th, 2017

Happy Easter Sunday! We got up really early to get ready and drive north to see D’s family, as this was really the only day we could fit it in. Unfortunately, we only had a couple of hours to spend with his mum before she had to get to work. We both were the definition of knackered and I fell asleep in the car on the way back. D had to stop to get coffee as he could barely keep his eyes open driving back.

As soon as we got through the door, D took a nap, and then we popped in Harry Potter to prepare for Monday’s little outing…..

Monday, April 17th, 2017

We had to get up early again, to catch brunch in London with one of D’s friends. We spent a couple hours in Old Spitalfields Market (LOL – the name kills me), with a couple bottles of Prosecco, then headed back so that we could drive to the Harry Potter Studio Tour!

I designated a separate post for that experience because it most definitely deserves its own post. You can read about it, and see more pictures here.

We didn’t get back until late and I had to pack up my suitcases as my flight was very early the next morning.

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017

Flight departing at 9:25am at Heathrow back to Detroit, MI. We left the flat at 6:30am, and didn’t arrive until 7:45am. I’m not kidding when I say it takes forever to get around England. The M25 is awful – I hate it with a passion.

The moment I got out of the car and started walking into the airport, I wanted to cry. I didn’t want to leave. The flight was horrible, even though it really wasn’t. It felt like it had gone on for 12 hours. I finally made it home around 2:45pm local Detroit time, absolutely knackered.

I managed to unpack, do my laundry, eat some food, and got into bed at 6:30pm where I fell asleep the moment my eyes shut.

And below is the picture of all the crumpets, Toblerone, Honeydukes’ sweets, and the chocolate egg I brought back with me. Hooray for diabetes!

Photo Apr 18, 4 38 12 PM


The trip was amazing. We had done so much together, it felt like I had been there for an entire month. We had a lot of fun and it was so nice to spend time with him as it had been 94 days since we had last seen each other.

We only have about 24 days until we see each other next and we’re obviously already counting down. I miss London and I miss my boyfriend, but at least I’ve got the memories, and the billions of pictures, to filter through until next time.


Much Love