Bell’s Palsy 4 Weeks Later

Princess Palsy here. Yes, that is my new nickname for the time being. However, I’m getting to the point where you can’t really call me that anymore! Aaaayyyoooo

Today, it is exactly 4 weeks from when I first noticed the symptoms of Bell’s Palsy and I can’t believe how far I’ve come in such a short amount of time.

palsy update

And yes, I did get a nice tan since then. We had a great weekend here in the UK 😛

My eye was the main thing to bother me as I had to remember to manually blink it, and was constantly putting drops in them to make sure they weren’t drying out too much. And at night time, I would have to tape it shut and then slept with an eye mask on as well just to be extra sure it wouldn’t dry out in the night. I am still taping it, just to be sure but I can now close my eye on my own and keep it shut which is the biggest progress so far.

The other main difference was my eyebrows. As you can tell, in the left side photo is it naturally drooped pretty low compared to my right one. But in the right side photo, it is almost back to normal.

My smile is very close to being back to normal, although I do notice the palsy when I laugh or when I’m cheesin’. I think that within the next few weeks, it should be completely back to normal, as normal as I can get anyway…

Photo May 09, 10 26 48 AM

I do notice the palsy quite a bit when I’m pursing my lips. You can see my left eyebrow is slightly lower than my right, and I am trying to raise them here. And you can see my lips on the left side won’t purse correctly.

Photo May 09, 10 27 24 AM

I don’t feel self conscious at all anymore and I can eat and drink without having to use a straw or getting food all over my face so it’s just a matter of waiting it out just a little bit longer to make a full recovery.

Even though I am definitely ready to put my Palsy days behind me, I definitely want to remember how I let my stress affect me so badly so that I make sure not to do it again. I am very lucky it was only Bell’s Palsy and not something much worse. And I’m very lucky to be healing so quickly.

Photo May 09, 10 27 41 AM

I can’t tell you if there was any one thing that made me heal so fast, but I do think it was a combination of the following:

  • seeking medical help, and getting medication, within the first 24 hours of noticing symptoms
  • having a full 10 days off of work to relax and recover
  • eating a healthy diet
  • drinking lots of water
  • having a good attitude
  • listening to my body and treating it well

At this point, I’m just ready to get back regular life and resume taking selfies and living my best life, ya know what I mean?

Palsy Princess out!

Much Love